Sunday, July 22, 2007

Irene Birungi


Irene is another one of my nieces that has, over the past couple of years, gone through and passed out of the ‘teenage ornery’ phase. She’s the only one of my girls I have yelled at both on the phone and via email for being a troublemaker. Irene is the probably the brightest of the lot academically, but with a stubborn and impulsive streak. But I gather she is getting the latter attributes under control and will go far with her brainpower, if given the opportunity.

Irene certainly shocked me this last trip and I wish I’d had more time to spend with her. But she was in school and I only got about an hour. They called the whole group of Sabine girls to the office, not letting them know about our visit. Irene was the first and only one of my kids to recognize the slimmer, bearded version of me; she hit me with a solid tackle of a hug, nearly taking me off my feet. When I got out of that, I noticed her name on her school uniform; ‘Irene Openshaw’. She had no idea when I’d be coming by, so it was not done solely for my benefit. Very touching, especially since- while being a moral supporter of hers- I am not her sponsor. But her sponsor does not communicate with her and my 'personal touch' (including an occasional verbal swat on the behind) apparently meant a lot to her.

She is currently ranked second at a very tough Catholic school and I am very proud, though undeserving, of her carrying the Openshaw name. I got her a little cash and arranged art supplies for her; and met her art teachers who were impressed with her natural ability. She switched over to being interested in business and seems to have settled down; I really think she’s going places and will help when I can.

No comments: